Restaurants worth a detour
Updated 7 Oct 2019
Stockholm's restaurant scene is flourishing - outside the city centre. There are masses of exciting restaurants to discover if you've got time for a short detour. Those of you looking to explore new culinary ground will find everything from idyllic archipelago inns to critically acclaimed party spots and large entertainment centres. All you need to do is find your way out to them. We've rounded up the gems that we guarantee are worth a trip beyond the city centre.
LM Ericssons Väg 27, Hägersten-Liljeholmen
Celebrated suburban favourite near the art college
A long-standing favourite outside the city centre which lends the studenty area around Telefonplan some big city vibes. They serve an ambitious mix of Nordic and French flavours surrounded by decor designed by students from the nearby art college in a relaxed atmosphere. Landet combines being an everyday hangout with a festive feel, and anyone who feels like clubbing can just head upstairs. They also serve lunch.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 8 km (14 min)
- Public transport: Underground to Telefonplan (13 min from T-Centralen)
Två små svin
Årstavägen 49, Årsta
Continental in Årsta
The Årsta restaurant Två små svin has been spreading its continental vibes outside the city centre since 2014. With influences from Denmark and the Czech Republic, they serve masses of smörrebröd (Danish open sandwiches) as well as Czech beer and Swedish snaps. The cosiness factor is high with a contemporary beer hall feel. Just get yourself down south.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 7,5 km (13 min)
- Public transport: Bus from Gullmarsplan (around 20 min from T-centralen)
Bockholmen Hav & Restaurang
19th century cosiness close to the city
The stresses of big city life disappear when you arrive at Bockholmen archipelago restaurant. Enjoy the beautiful 19th century villa where Scandinavian food like grandma used to make combines with fresh Meditterannean influences. There's a beautiful view over the water and into the open kitchen and on cold evenings the old tile stoves are lit. Summer visits are particularly idyllic though.
- Avstånd med bil från Hötorget: 9 km (12 min)
- Kommunalt: T-bana till Bergshamra (12 min från T-Centralen)
Alongside Lake Långsjön you'll find this historic house, part of which was built in the 17th century. On Tuesdays-Sundays their café serves breakfast bowls, a daily lunch dish or coffee and cake in the leafy surroundings. Round off the day with a walk in the beautiful natural surroundings.
- Distance by car from Hötorget : around 14km (20 min)
- Public transport: Underground from Fruängen (19 min from T-Centralen)
Top notch flavour experience
The much talked-about restaurant Aloë has tempted gourmet guests out to a residential area in Älvsjö to try their famous tasting menu. The restaurant is run by Niklas Jönsson and Daniel Höglander, two chefs who have previously worked at fine dining restaurants including Esperanto and Lux.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: around 10 km (around 15 min)
- Public transport: Underground to Telefonplan, then bus to Älvsjö (37 min from T-Centralen)
Saltsjöqvarns Kaj 25, Nacka
Return trip by boat
For a nice outing, catch the boat from Nybrokajen to SQ Bar & Restaurang at the Elite Hotel in Nacka, where they serve a Nordic menu focusing on sustainability and locally-produced ingredients. Choose from fish and shellfish, as well as meat and vegetarian dishes. The restaurant welcomes both large and small parties and you can start or round off the evening in the adjoining bar.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: Around 6km (20 min)
- Public transport: SL commuter ferry, bus
Artipelagstigen 1, The Archipelago/Värmdö
Modern angle in the archipelago
Combine carefully prepared food with exhibitions and modern, architect-designed archipelago surroundings at Artipelago art gallery out on the island of Värmdö. Bådan serves brunch and a lunch buffet worth a detour on the light, airy ground floor and on the third floor you'll find ambitious an à la carte menu at Restaurang Artipelag. You can count on a gorgeous view over the water and forests too.
- Distance by car from Hötorget : 23 km (22 min)
- Public transport: Artipelag bus from Centralstationen or SL bus from Slussen (18 min)
Bun Meat Bun
Hamburger fanatics have been making the pilgrimage to Bun Meat Bun in Farsta strand since 2014. The restaurant is famous for its special "smash technique" which gives their burgers an extra crispy surface, and milkshakes and thin fries are served alongside.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: around 15 km (around 20 min)
- Public transport: Underground or commuter train from T-Centralen (around 30 min)
Neighbourhood favourite in Bagarmossen
Centan opened its doors in Bagarmossen in 2017 and became an overnight success. Cooking is ambitious and seasonal and the decor is locally designed. Whether ou live locally or not, this is definitely a neighbourhood restaurant to check off the list.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 10 km (20 min)
- Public transport: Underground to Bagarmossen (20 min from T-centralen)
Restaurant J Nacka Strand
Augustendalsvägen 52, Nacka
Cosy nautical feel in Nacka Strand
Nacka's best archipelago restaurant, Restaurant J in Nacka Strand, doesn't just provide marine vibes with its Newport-inspired decor and piscine menu. The journey here is part of the experience if you come by boat via the entrance to Stockholm harbour (from Slussen or Nybrokajen). There's masses of fish and shellfish on the menu in a cosy setting right next to the water, just a few minutes from town by car.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 10 km (14 min)
- Public transport: Bus from Slussen or T-Centralen to Nacka Strand (10-17 min)
Stora Gungans väg 7, Enskede
The talk of Enskede
The neighbourhood restaurant Matateljén in Gamla Enskede doesn't just draw in local guests - the restaurant has become a talking point among foodies all over town. Ambitious cooking combines with cosy surroundings and chilled soul music a short distance from the city centre.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 7 km (15 min)
- Public transport: Underground to Sandsborg (18 min from T-centralen)
Vattenledningsvägen 44, Hägersten-Liljeholmen
Modern sandwiches in Midsommarkransen
Scandwich, originally from Malmö, came to Midsommarkransen in 2018 and was an immediate success. Filling, well-made sandwiches combine with selected beers and wines and you'll also find hand-cut fries and other snacks on the menu.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: around 7 km (15 min)
- Public transport: Metro to Midsomarkransen (around 15 mins from T-centralen)
Midskeppsgatan 31, Hammarby sjöstad
Waterfront location which attracts city dwellers
There's a guaranteed feeling of living in a city idyll when you can enjoy your beer on a jetty in the sunshine, at a restaurant like Göteborg by Sickla canal in Hammarby. And it does indeed feel a little as though Sweden's second city (Göteborg/Gothenburg) has come to the capital. The atmosphere is friendly and the journey here is by tram or boat. Take a trip here for a cold beer in the summer or a bowl of warm stew in the winter.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 6,2 km (10 min)
- Public transport: Tvärbana from Gullmarsplan to Sickla Kaj (20 min from T-Centralen)
Ulriksdals Slottspark, Solna
Classic close to the city
Ulriksdals Värdshus is a smart but welcoming restaurant just beyond the bright lights of the city, in beautiful, leafy surroundings. Make an outing of it to eat updated classic dishes and take a walk in the garden, or hire the restaurant for a party.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 25 min
- Public transport: Underground to Bergshamra (11 mins from T-centralen), then a 20 min walk
Gustavlundsvägen 149E, Bromma
Fusion food in Alvik
Fusion restaurant Poké Burger in Alviks tower gets its culinary inspiration from Asia and America. The relaxed, welcoming vibe is complemented by Hawaiian poké bowls, serious hamburgers and house cocktails. Something for everyone and a cool place to hang out.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 7 km (20 min)
- Public transport: Underground to Alvik (12 mins from Hötorget)
Hasselmans Torg 12, Sickla, Nacka
Popular concept in cool industrial style
Like countless families with small children, Urban Deli Nytorget moved out of the city centre. In Sickla Köpkvarter shopping centre you'll find their large sister restaurant with a food hall and restaurant that suits all ages. You can buy fine foods, have a glass of fizz or eat breakfast, lunch, dinner or a brunch buffet. Cool industrial style and great ingredients
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 9 km (12-18 min)
- Public transport: Saltsjöbanan or bus from Slussen
Bergsgatan 1 (Vattentornet), Sundbyberg
Popular gourmet pizzas in Sundbyberg
Lyrical guests make the pilgrimage all the way across town to Delibruket Flatbread in Sundbyberg for their environmentally-conscious "flatbread" pizzas and beer from local breweries. The restaurant is located in an old water tower which has been done up in industrial chic style, and in the summer months the outdoor seating area is worth an extra detour.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 8 km (20 min)
- Public transport: Underground/commuter train to Sundbyberg
Arenavägen 69, Johanneshov
Activities and food
Tolv Stockholm is a full-on entertainment concept, you just need to choose between restaurants, sports bars and other popular entertainment. Boston Grill is one of the offerings, serving craft beer and grilled dishes à la New England, and O'Learys which provides various activities in a sports bar setting. The cosy Bambino's, with its Fifities nostalgic feel, is also under the Tolv roof. If you can't face the thought of getting home later, just check in to Bo Hotel.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 7,4 km (11 min)
- Public transport: Underground to Globen (12 min from T-Centralen)
Sollentunavägen 220, Sollentuna
Tjusigt mys för hela familjen
In 2010 Edsbacka Krog was replaced by Edsbacka Wärdshus in an historic 18th century house in Sollentuna. With a beautiful spot by Edsviken bay the restaurant is a great spot for the whole family - you can enjoy a seasonal and classic menu while the children can choose from a children's menu and play games. Charming, cosy and memorable.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 17,7 km (18 min)
- Public transport: Commuter train/bus to Edsvik (26 min from T-Centralen)
Primitivo di Papa Gabi
A little bity of Italy in Älvsjö
This neighbourhood Italian on Älvsjö square serves traditional dishes in elegant surroundings with a modern touch. You'll find everything from pizza and pasta to grilled meat and Italian desserts on the menu and you can even order a pre-dinner cocktail should the mood take you.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 10 km (15 min)
- Public transport: Commuter train to Älvsjö (9 min from T-Centralen)
Steninge Slottsväg 141
Lunch/brunch trip to lake Mälaren
If you're looking for a complete day out with lunch or brunch, Steninge Bruk is well worth a visit. In the old stone barn, in the grounds of Steninge Castle by lake Mälaren, you'll find Sweden's largest wood-fired barbeque, on which chefs grill Nordic lunch dishes and South American weekend brunches. Combine your visit with a walk and maybe a browse in the interiors shop under the same roof.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 42 km (51 min)
- Public transport: Commuter train (1,5 hrs from Centralstationen)
Husmor Lisa Rök & Kök
Ytterbyuddsvägen 29, The Archipelago
Authentic slow food in an archipelago home
The fact that one of Stockholm's most unique restaurant experiences can be found in Vaxholm makes it well worth a little visit. The restaurant Husmor Lisa is in chef's own seafront home, where she serves organic slow food made from local and own-grown produce. A luxurious and relaxed mixture of old-fashioned smallholding techniques and imaginative dishes for the whole family, with dry-aged local meat a speciality. Opening hours vary according to the season.
- Distance by car from Hötorget: 34 km (ca 40 min)
- Public transport: Bus 670 from Tekniska Högskolan around 45 min, Vaxholm ferry in the summer (search for Ytterby)