Lunch spots worth a detour
Updated 23 Nov 2019
Looking to escape the city centre during the lunchtime rush hour? Stockholm is packed with fantastic restaurants outside town, well worth a short trip. Just a few minutes journey from the hustle and bustle of the big city you'll find waterfront restaurants and award-winning suburban gems. Jump on the underground, hop in the car or grab your bike and follow our guide to the best places to have lunch outside the city centre.
Lunch in each part of the city:
All our lunch guides:
Other guides you may be interested in:
LandetLM Ericssons Väg 27, Hägersten-Liljeholmen
Award-winning and hip
Opposite Konstfack art college you'll find this hip, laid-back restaurant serving excellent food. With live music upstairs, award-winning Landet draws in regulars from all over the city. The daily lunch special is a choice of a fish or meat dish, including bread, salad buffet, coffee and cake. Vegetarian? Combine the salad buffet with the soup of the day.
Mittemot Konstfack bjuder Landet på avslappnad hippfaktor och vällagad mat. Den gulddrakebelönade restaurangen, som även kör spelningar på övervåningen, har knappast gått obemärkt förbi. Numera serveras dagens lunch i form av en fisk- och en kötträtt inklusive bröd, salladsbuffé, kaffe och kaka. Vegetarian? Kombinera salladsbuffén med dagens soppa.
- Price guide: Daily lunch special including salad buffet, bread, coffee and cae around 105 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 11am-2pm
- Getting here: Underground tol Telefonplan (13 min from T-Centralen)
K4 PampasKarlbergs Strand 4C
Nautical near town
Just a short stroll from Vasastan and the city, K4 in Pampas marina boasts a waterfront location and beautiful views. Satisfy your lunchtime hunger pangs with well-prepared Swedish classics (meat, fish or vegetarian), including a salad buffet, freshly-baked bread, coffee and cake, all year round. Don't miss the large outdoor seating area in the warmer months.
- Price guide: around 120 SEK including salad buffet, bread, coffee and cake
- Time: 10.30am-3pm
- Getting here: Short walk from Karlberg station, by car or by boat
Restaurant J Nacka StrandAugustendalsvägen 52, Nacka
Marine vibes all year round
This Newport-influenced seaside restaurant in Nacka Strand draws in both local office workers and families and groups of friends from the city. You can get there by boat for a summery session on the jetty, but it's equally cosy in the colder months in front of the open fire. The lunch menu includes traditional Swedish dishes, with meat and fish options as well as a weekly vegetarian dish and a set menu business lunch.
- Price guide: Dish of the day around 125 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 11.30am-2.30pm
- Getting here: SL bus to Nacka Strand from Slussen (around 10 min) or from T-Centralen (around 17 min), boat from Nybrokajen (around 20 min)
Urban DeliHasselmans Torg 12, Sickla, Nacka
Urban beyond the city
Right next to Sickla shopping centre, five minutes from Slussen, you'll find this sister restaurant to the popular Urban Delis on Nytorget and in the city centre. The same concept applies here: restaurant meets food hall in a contemporary setting. Lunch of the day, vegetarian dish of the week, soup and salad are always on the menu. Combine lunch with a little shopping just outside town.
- Price guide: Daily lunch special, salad of the week, vegetarian dish of the week around 115 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 11am-2.30pm
- Getting here: SL bus or Saltsjöbanan to Sickla (5 min from Slussen)
AsplundGunnar Asplunds allé 2-4, Solna
Well-reputed close to the city
Asplund is housed in a listed Thirties building in Solna and is run by Fredrik Eriksson from Långbro Värdshus. Lunch options include the restaurant's signature pizzas, alongside modern takes on traditional Swedish dishes and dishes such as burgers that are always on the menu. And it's not far from the city centre.
- Price guide: Daily lunch special around 110-120 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 11am-2pm
- Getting here: Underground to Västra Skogen (6 min from T-Centralen)
SQSaltsjöqvarns Kaj 25, Nacka
Take the ferry to lunch
Catch the boat from Nybrokajen or Frihamnen to Nacka and include a picturesque boat trip in your lunch hour. You'll find SQ Bar & Restaurang at the Elite Hotel in Nacka, with views over the entrance to Stockholm harbour. The restaurant serves a daily lunch special which includes bread, butter and salad, and there's always a vegetarian option.
- Price: Daily lunch special around 135 SEK
- Time: 11.30am-3pm
- Getting here: SL commuter ferry, boat
Restaurang JungfrusundBryggavägen 133
Lunch on Lake Mälaren
Get yourself along to cosy Jungfrusund and eat lunch right on Lake Mälaren. Fill your belly with Swedish homecooking and more continental dishes, as you take in the views of the harbour. The restaurant is open all year round and can be reached by car and public transport.
- Price: Dish of the day around 115 SEK
- Getting here: Car (around 40 mins from the city centre), underground and SL bus (around 1 hr from T-Centralen), own boat
Steninge BrukSteninge Slottsväg 141
Nordic flavours in a beautiful stone barn
The perfect spot for an outing just half an hour outside the city by car. Steninge Bruk is housed in a beautifully renovated old barn in the grounds of an historic castle on the shores of lake Mälaren. Nordic lunch dishes are cooked on the largest wood-fired grill in Sweden. After lunch, take a walk in the grounds or browse in the barn's interiors shop.
- Time: 11am-6pm
- Getting here: Commuter train from Centralstationen (around 30 mins to Märsta)
ScandwichVattenledningsvägen 44, Hägersten-Liljeholmen
A must for sandwich fans
If you love sandwiches, you need to get down to Midsommarkransen and experience the popular Scandwich concept that began in Malmö. Artisan sandwiches are served for lunch and dinner. Choose from meat, vegetarian or vegan toppings and add hand-cut fries if you're really hungry.
- Getting here: Car, underground to Midsommarkransen
Success in Bagarmossen
This much-lauded neighbourhood restaurant in Bagarmossen serves substantial lunch dishes at decent prices. Care and attention has gone into both the ingredients and the interiors, which were designed by local designer Shane Schneck, and it's well worth making the trip to get here.
- Price guide: Dish of the day around 110 SEK
- Time: 12-3pm
- Getting here: Underground to Bagarmossen (20 min from T-Centralen)
Gamla OrangerietVeit Wittrocksväg 7, Norra Djurgården
Eat lunch in a greenhouse!
In the middle of Bergianska botanic gardens, Gamla Orangeriet serves organic homemade food and cakes and pastries. Come for something to eat, a coffee or a glass of wine with nature as your backdrop. Combine your lunch with a long walk or just make a short detour from town or Stockholm university. Open in winter and summer.
- Price guide: Lunch around 105-140 SEK
- Time: Mon-Sun 11.30am-2pm
- Getting here: Underground toUniversitetet (9 min from T-Centralen)
Två små svinÅrstavägen 49, Årsta
Lunchtime trip to Copenhagen
Take a trip out to Årsta and eat Danish-style open sandwiches just like the ones you get in Copenhagen! At Två små svin they come with every imaginable topping, from herring to roast beef and vegetarian options. Just mix and match a few to suit your taste.
- Price guide: Open sandwiches around 73-149 SEK
- Time: All day
- Getting here: Bus from Gullmarsplan (around 20 min from T-centralen)
ArtipelagArtipelagstigen 1, The Archipelago/Värmdö
Art gallery in the archipelago
It's not just the art exhibitions that make Artipelag a popular place to visit. The modern art centre also houses a café and restaurant with beautiful views and fantastic food. Choose the café on the ground floor for coffee, cakes and sandwiches or the restaurant on the third floor for their ambitious lunch and brunch buffets.
- Price guide: Lunch buffet around 235 SEK
- Time: Wed-Sun from 11am
- Getting here: Bus, boat (Strömma) or car (around 20 min)
Poké BurgerGustavlundsvägen 149E, Bromma
Burgers and bowls
Get yourself down to the fusion joint Poké Burger in Alvik for poké bowls and hamburgers. They serve several different variations of poké bowls as well as a seriously hefty hamburger in laid-back surroundings, inspired by Asia and the USA..
- Price: around 110-125 SEK
- Time: 11am-2pm
- Getting here: Underground to Alvik, car
Delibruket FlatbreadBergsgatan 1 (Vattentornet), Sundbyberg
Pizzas worth a detour
Pizza enthusiasts of all ages find their way to this old water tower in Sundbyberg to eat organic flatbread pizzas topped with locally produced ingredients. At lunchtime they serve a buffet with three different flatbreads, as well as salad and soup. The raw, industrial feel of the place and colourful paintings on the walls alone are worth a detour.
- Price guide: Buffet including drink, coffee/tea and something sweet around 99 SEK
- Time: Tues-fri 11am-2pm
- Getting here: Underground to Duvbo (21 min from T-Centralen)
Hamburger heaven2 addresses
The trend for burgers isn't confined to the city centre - you'll also find plenty of top-notch hamburger joints a little further afield but well worth the effort. Don't be surprised if you find your new favourite burger restaurant beyond your usual geographical comfort zone.