The guide to Stockholm's best yoga studios
Updated 12 Nov 2018
Hatha, bikram, ashtanga, vinyasa... The yoga mat has become an increasingly desirable time-out from a stressful urban existance of constand demands and digital connection. These days there's no shortage of different yoga styles - yoga grows ever more popular and there's something for everyone. Stockholm's yoga studios offer everything from physically challenging and dynamic forms, such as ashtanga, to sweaty bikram yoga and relaxing yinyoga. A basic yoga class at the gym might be the first step towards visiting a pure yoga studio. Follow our guide to the city's best yoga spots for anyone looking to find more balance in their lives.
The largest yoga oasis in the city
Yogayama's well-known oasis in Östermalm offers the largest selection of yoga classes in Stockholm. The studio has three yoga shalas, a light and airy shop and a slightly hidden-away organic restaurant Koloni - Gröna Kök, on the top floor. Stay on for a healthy meal or a raw food snack if you want to extend your yoga experience. There's also been a branch of Yogayama in Sjöstaden since 2015.
- Type of yoga: Everything from basic yoga and hatha to ashtanga, yoga for children, mindfulness and teacher training courses.
- Price guide: Drop-in around 200 SEK, annual pass around 12 900 SEK
Wallingatan 20-22, Norrmalm/City/Vasastan
Urban yoga philosophy in the heart of the city
Urban OM on Wallingatan is a conscious urban meeting place for everyone wanting to get in touch with themselves and others through yoga and meditation. They offer "yoga for office dudes", strong flow yoga and kundalini yoga, among other forms. Experienced international instructors lead the classes and the studio itself is beautifully designed in contemporary style.
- Price guide : Drop-in around 190-220 SEK, annual pass around 590-990 SEK per month
- Type of yoga : Yoga and meditation
Engelbrektsgatan 23, Östermalm
Bikram yoga in Östermalm
This centrally located studio specialises in bikram, or 'hot yoga', classes. Students are encouraged to come with an open mind, but it's also important to adapt what you wear, eat and drink to ensure the class is as effective as possible. The main aims of bikram are to purify the body and prevent injury.
- Price guide: Drop-in around 220 SEK, annual pass around 9 650 SEK
- Type of yoga: Bikram
Stockholm Spa & Hälsostudio
Rörstrandsgatan 24, Vasastan
Yoga and spa
Drop in for a yoga class at Stockholm Spa & Hälsostudio in Vasastan. The focus is on classic yoga forms, particularly medicinal yoga, and after your session you can make use of the jacuzzi and sauna for maximum relaxation. you an also book a yoga class with a personal trainer.
- Price guide: Clip card for five sessions around 980 SEK
- Type of yoga: Medicinal yoga
Birkagatan 35 , Vasastan
Luxury at the oldest bikram studio in Scandinavia
Work on your strength, condition and relaxation at the same time in this luxurious oasis specialising in bikram yoga. Enable your body to be able to deal with everyday life in a stress-free manner. Suits all levels.
- Price guide: Drop-in around 220 SEK, annual pass around 12 995 SEK
- Type of yoga: Mainly bikram but also yinyoga and pregnancy yoga
Gotlandsgatan 88, Södermalm
In Mysore, India, ashtanga yoga is practiced in groups in "self practice" sessions, meaning you adapt the movements to your own pace while a teacher is on hand to help with adjustments. You'll find this 'Mysore' form at the long-established yoga studio Yogashala Stockholm. They also offer gentler forms of yoga.
- Price guide: Drop-in around 200 SEK
- Type of yoga: Mysore, ashtanga, hatha, yinyoga as well as many other classes and courses
Inbalance Yoga Stockholm
Wollmar Yxkullsgatan 1, Södermalm
Yoga balance in various forms in Södermalm
Inbalance also focuses on dynamic ashtanga yoga, with the more advanced classes carried out individually, Mysore-style. But the studio also offers more gentle forms such as yinyoga, hatha and meditation, as well as yoga for teenagers. If you're not sure which form would suit you best, just try out a few different classes with a drop-in pass or 10 class pass.
- Price guide: Drop-in classes around 170 SEK, monthly pass around 1 100 SEK
- Type of yoga : Mainly ashtanga, but also other forms
Altromondo Yoga Studio
Grev Turegatan 18, Östermalm
Broad yoga range
A little, luxurious oasis in the middle of Grev Turegatan run by yoga teacher Jennie Liljefors, who used to run Altromondo in Italy. There are classes for complete beginners and yogis looking to develop their practice alike. You'll find everything from after-work yoga to ashtanga, kundalini and private classes, as well as yoga for men. The studio has smart changing rooms and its own shop.
- Price guide: 5 class pass around 1 050 SEK, annual pass around 13 860 SEK
- Type of yoga : Mixed
Ashtanga Yoga Stockholm
Garvargatan 22, Kungsholmen
Practice with one of the city's first ashtanga teachers
Gittan Hendele was one of the first to begin teaching ashtanga yoga in Stockholm in the Nineties. At Ashtanga Yoga Stockholm she teaches this powerful, dynamic form of yoga together with several of her former pupils, in advanced Mysore and other kinds of classes.
- Price guid: Drop-in classes around 200 SEK, annual pass around 7 600 SEK
- Type of yoga: Ashtanga
It's Yoga Stockholm
Tjustgatan 5, Södermalm
Modern ashtanga from San Francisco
It's Yoga was founded in California as a modern form of classic ashtanga. The style is called Rocket and is based on a series developed to prevent injuries and build up inner and outer strength. In addition to the Rocket series, they also offer other classes and courses such as yinyoga and pregnancy yoga. Or why not try an astrology class?
- Price guide: Drop-in classes 190 SEK, annual pass around 8 000 SEK
- Type of yoga: Rocket, a modern form of ashtanga
Timmermansgatan 10, Södermalm
Small, friendly yoga studio
YogaShakti on Mariatorget has a warm, welcoming atmosphere and an obvious love of yoga. The main yoga forms on offer here are the American forms anusara and virya, which use biomechanical principles of alignment, but you'll also find yinyoga and relaxing restorative yoga (very popular), among other classes, on the timetable.
- Price guide: Drop-in classes around 180 SEK, annual pass around 7 150 SEK
- Type of yoga: Specialises in anusara and virya
Sigtunagatan 8, Vasastan
Yoga for body and soul
The current Atmajyoti studio by Vasaparken is slightly larger than its predecessor and more accessible. You'll find a wide selection of yoga, including ashtanga, yoga for children, pregnancy yoga and seniors yoga, all taught by international teachers in a cosy environment.
- Price guide: Drop-in classes around 160-200 SEK, term card around 5 500 SEK
- Type of yoga: Ashtanga (Mysore and led class), hatha, yinyoga and other courses
Ringvägen 98, Skanstull/Södermalm
Find inner peace
The Clarion Hotel's ayurvedic spa is a real oasis for yogis. Classes in vata yoga, hatha yoga and medical yoga, as well as baby yoga, are held in the light and airy yoga shala with views over Årstaviken. Classes are suitable for all levels of ability and experience.
- Price guide: Drop-in classes around 295-495 SEK, group training and gym 10 sessions around 1 850 SEK
- Type of yoga: Hatha, vatayoga, medicinsk yoga, relaxyoga m fl