The guide to Malmö's best breakfast
Updated 30 Jun 2020
As everyone knows, a hearty breakfast is the most important meal of the day - and it can also be the most enjoyable. There are a few perky cafés in Malmö who open their doors bright and early to serve strong coffee, fresh juices, freshly-baked bread and other goodies to early birds popping in before work or school. We at Thatsup have checked out the city's very best breakfast buffets, packages and à la carte breakfasts to set you up for the day. Follow our guide to Malmö's best breakfast.
MJ'sMäster Johansgatan 13
One of Malmö's most exciting, and best, hotel breakfasts can be found at MJ's. As they proudly claim, their breakfast is something special - quite simply, bombastic. Unfortunately it's closed to non-hotel guests during the summer months, but opens again to all in August.
- Type of breakfast: Breakfast buffet and brunch
- Price: Unknown
- When: Mon-Fri 6.30-10am, Sat-Sun 7.30-10.30am (closed for non-hotel guests during the summer)
Café KungsgatanKungsgatan 2 a
Breakfast with classical music
The breakfast buffet is accompanied by rococo interiors and classical music at this delightful café. Breakfast itself is simple and tasty with several different kinds of freshly-baked bread and accompaniments laid out on weekdays, while on weekends the selection is slightly more luxurious with waffles and other treats.
- Type of breakfast: Breakfast buffet
- Price: Weekdays around 65 SEK, weekends around 120 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 8-11am, Saturdays 9am-2pm, Sundays 10am-2pm
Up with the lark
Stressed-out commuters and leisurely breakfasters alike rejoice in the fact that Nostra has taken over the corner premises next to Triangeln's bus stop and station. They open bright and early on weekdays for excellent coffee and a range of locally-produced, homemade breakfast options.
- Kind of breakfast: Coffee, sandwiches, pastries
- Price guide:
- Time: Weekdays from 7am, Saturdays from 9am, Sundays from 10am
Café GrannenÖstervärnsgatan 5
Veggie-friendly brunch buffet all week long
Freshly-baked scones and homemade marmalade are first in line - and make a great start - when you pick and choose from Grannen's buffet. Yoghurt and juice, pies and salads follow, along with something sweet to round off with. Available all week and suitable for both breakfast and brunch.
- Kind of breakfast: Buffet
- Price: around 89 SEK
- Time: Weekdays from 9.30am-2pm, weekends 9.30am-3pm
Noir KaffekulturEngelbrektsgatan 6
Health and caffeine kick on Engelbrektsgatan
There are a few safe bets when it comes to finding quick energy boosts in the city, and Noir Kaffekultur is definitely one of them. Sit and enjoy a relatively healthy combo of coffee, rye-bread sandwich and grapefruit before you head out to face the day. If that feels a bit too virtuous you can always pick up a fresh pastry on your way out.
- Kind of breakfast: Coffee, sandwiches
- Price guide: 2 rye open sandwiches around 40 SEK, filled sourdough baguette around 38 SEK, latte around 35 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 8-10am
Sustainable all-day breakfast
Sometimes a craving for breakfast food can hit at any time of the day, and that's when places like Jord come to the rescue. They fix delicious, Insta-friendly breakfast classics such as porridge and sandwiches in equally picture-perfect surroundings all day long, as well as hummus bowls and vegan options.
- Kind of breakfast: Sandwiches, porridge, hummus bowls, pastries
- Price guide: Coming soon
- Time: Weekdays 9am-5pm, Saturdays 10am-5pm
Systrar & bröderÖstra Rönneholmsvägen 26
Rise and shine all week long
Systrar & Bröder is total and utter breakfast heaven, with a popular and great value buffet table all week long. Pick and choose from various kinds of freshly-baked bread and accompaniments including cheese, pickled herring and eggs, as well as pancakes, yoghurts and lashings of coffee.
- Kind of breakfast: Breakfast buffet
- Price: Weekdays around 95 SEK, weekends around 105 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 7.30-11am, Saturdays 8am-1pm and Sundays 9am-1pm
HollandiaSödra Förstadsgatan 8
Classic konditori since 1903
A little bit of history with your breakfast never hurts, especially when we're talking Malmö's oldest konditori. You order at the counter so it can take a little while before you get to sit down on one of the stylish Fifties chairs from Holland, but that just gives you more time to decide which of the goodies to order. Everything is baked on site, from scratch, and tastes just as good as it looks.
- Kind of. breakfast: Coffee, sandwiches, cakes
- Price guide: Coffee inc.refill around 35 SEK, sandwich around 49 SEK
- Time: Weekdays from 7.45am, Saturdays from 9am, Sundays from 10am
Pâtisserie David S:t GertrudÖstergatan 7B
Breakfast à la Francaise
Experience a taste of France at Patisserie David in the elegant old S:t Gertrud neighbourhood. In addition to exquisite cakes and pastries and probably the city's best traditional baguettes, you can also sit for a while and enjoy coffee, juice and a well-filled roll or croissant for breakfast. Sit out on the pavement or in the inner courtyard on a warm summer's day.
- Kind of breakfast: Breakfast package
- Price: Coffee, filled breakfast roll or croissant and a glass of juice around 65 SEK
- Time: 8-11am
Solde KaffebarRegementsgatan 2
Charming coffee bar by the canal
Warmth pours over you when you enter Solde Kaffebar; from the broad smiles welcoming you in and the heavenly smell of freshly-roasted coffee. This winning combo means Solde is always popular and often packed, but for excellent coffee, delicious sandwiches and nice vibes it's worth the wait.
- Kind of breakfast: Breakfast sandwiches, coffee
- Price guide: Breakfast sandwiches around 30 SEK, yoghurt with muesli around 20 SEK
- Time: Weekdays from 7.15am, Saturdays from 9am, Sundays from 10am
Lilla KafferosterietBaltzarsgatan 24
An early morning visit to this charming spot promises the heavenly scents - and flavours - of freshly-roasted coffee and delicious newly-baked pastries. A selection of sandwiches made from bread from Organic Bakery along with cakes and pastries from konditori Katarina and Olof Viktors make for a tasty start to the day. A favourite among Malmö locals for their excellent coffee, comfy armchairs and warm atmosphere.
- Kind of breakfast: Coffee, sandwiches, cakes
- Price guide: Coffee from around 27 SEK, rolls around 25-39 SEK, foccacia around 65 SEK
- Time: Weekdays 8-11am
Great coffee in homely surroundings
Do you like great coffee, simple dishes made from fresh ingredients and a warm, welcoming atmosphere? In that case, don't miss a visit to Atrium. There's always a selection of tasty breakfast options to choose from in the mornings. The premises are relatively small, but during the warmer months you can eat al fresco in their leafy outdoor area.
- Type of breakfast: Sandwiches, yoghurt and coffee
- Price guide: Varies
- Time: Mon-Fri from 8am, Sat-Sun from 9am
Mormors bageriÖstra Förstadsgatan 56
Good value breakfast with heavenly bread
Mormors Bageri are well-known for their excellent breakfast breads which are snapped up by early-bird Malmöites. They also lay out an unusually good value breakfast buffet every day of the week.
- Type of breakfast: Breakfast buffet
- Price: around 75 SEK
- When: Every day 7-11am